Listed Buildings

Listed buildings in Withington

Despite being a small and relatively unknown village, Withington has a diverse range of buildings of special architectural and historic interest. A selection of these are listed below, based on data available in the free-to-access English Heritage database of listed buildings
The complete records in the English Heritage database contain much additional architectural and historical information. 
These listings should not be regarded as definitive and are intended to be used solely for historical interest. Listing created January 2011.

Church of St John The Baptist
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5768412979
Parish church, dating from 1872-4, by G.E. Street on a site of a 12th century church. Dressed rock-faced red sandstone with red and yellow sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs.

Fittings are mainly circa 1872-4 by Street and include: stone reredos of blind trefoil-headed arches and central panel with relief of crucifixion; altar rails with decorative wrought iron supports; low screen walls flanking chancel steps with blind quatrefoil panels; octagonal stone pulpit with open trefoil-headed arched arcading; octagonal stone font with 4 shafts around stem, bowl with 2-light traceried panel to east, and steep crocketed cover with lucarnes. Figure brasses: on south wall of nave to John Onley (died 1512), his wife Joan and their 7 children; on north wall of chancel to Adam Grafton (dated 1530), one-time vicar of the church and described in the inscription as "the most worshipful prest lyvying in his days". The now disused Shrewsbury canal passed to the south of the churchyard. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol.7, Pp. 635-6; B.o.E., p.321. Also on this site: A history of St John the Baptist Church

The Old Hall
Grade:  II*  NGR:  SJ5768813026
Vicarage, now house. Circa 1700. Red brick with hipped plain tile roof, graded II* as an unaltered example of an early 18th century house with high quality detailing.

3 Caernarvon Lane
Now Coopers Cottage
Grade: TBC  NGR: SJ5765813211
Late 16th century or 17th century timber framed house with mid-to late 19th century alterations and additions, fully restored in 20th century.
Church Farm Cottages 1-3
Now Church Farm
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5771312958
Early 16th Century with late 19th century and early to mid-20th century alterations and additions. Originally a farmhouse, then divided into cottages, restored as a single residence.

Garden Cottage
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5779613152
Mid-to late 17th century timber framed cottage with some later alterations and additions.

The Gatehouse Cottage
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5751713048
Probably 17th century timber frame cottage with slate roof

Manor Farmhouse
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5755813243
Shown on O.S. map as Manor House. Farmhouse, now divided, dated 1710. Red brick with probably 2-span plain tile roof. 2 storeys to front and 3 storeys at rear. Dated "M.EDG.& MARY/MADDOX.1710" on central first-floor lintel.

The Old Vicarage
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5785913166
Late 16th or early 17th century timber framed house with late 20th century alterations and additions.
The Shrubbery
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5777213114
Early and mid-17th century timber framed house with partial late 18th or early 19th century rebuilding and probably late 19th century addition at rear.
Yew Tree Cottage
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5759013094
Mid-to late 16th century timber framed house, partially rebuilt and extended in late
20th century

Pump to south of 3 Church Farm Cottages
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5773612950
Mid-to late 19th century cast iron pump, with circular shaft with moulded rings.

Smith Memorial
Grade:  II  NGR:  SJ5768712973
Approximately 3 metres to south of nave of Church of St John the Baptist
Sandstone chest tomb dated 1798 inscribed "Here rest the Remains of/Mr ROBERT SMITH of/Acton Reynold who departed this life/April 27th MDCCXCVIII Aged 19".

These listings should not be regarded as definitive and are intended to be used solely for historical interst. Listing created January 2011.