Black & White Photographs

Withington Shop and Pub, George Thomas the village blacksmith in foreground, c.1928-30. 
 
 
View towards Withington Church and The Old Hall, date to be confirmed
 
 
Withington Church with Canal in the foreground,
date to be confirmed


 
Withington Church with Canal in the foreground, image courtesy The Shrewsbury & Newport Canals Trust (Click here for more information)

 
The smithy (left) with the village shop and the Hare and Hounds pub on the right. 
 

James & Elizabeth Allmark outside The Cottage, 2 Caernarvon Lane, Withington. Date unknown. Thanks to Phil Allmark for providing this photo.   
 
 

Local residents with canal bridge in the background, from left Ethel Gwilt (16),
Elsie Gwilt (6), Trevor Gwilt (3), and Mary Gwilt (18). Photo taken in 1944. Thanks to
Elsie Edwards
 
 
Mary Gwilt, known as Polly, c.1948, with a Withington
canal bridge in the background. Thanks to
Elsie Edwards (Mary Gwilt's granddaughter). 
 
 
An abandoned canal tunnel near Withington slowly collapses.
Photo is understood to date from the early 1950's. Thanks to
Elsie Edwards.  
 
 
Local wildlife takes charge of the canal, c. early 1950's. 
Thanks to Elsie Edwards
 
 
The canal at Withington, date to be 
confirmed. Thanks to Elsie Edwards. 
  
 
The canal at Withington, date to be 
confirmed. Thanks to Elsie Edwards.  
 
 
 
Comments