New non-emergency local police phone number: 101

posted 5 Nov 2011, 06:17 by Nick Maton-Williams   [ updated 5 Nov 2011, 06:17 ]

101 is now the number to call when you want to contact your local police – when it’s less urgent than 999.

When should I call 101?

To report less urgent crime or disorder and for general police
enquiries. For example;
  • if your car has been stolen;
  • if your property has been damaged;
  • when you suspect drug use or dealing;
  • to report a minor traffic collision;
  • to give the police information about crime in your area

How does it work?

You can call 101 to contact your local police force. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For more information visit

What does it cost me to call?

Calls from landlines and mobile networks cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day or how long you are on the phone.

Can I call 101 if I’m deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired, or if English is not my first language?
Yes, If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can textphone 18001 101. If you have difficulty speaking English, your local police can access interpreters who can translate
your call.

Remember, in an emergency always call 999.

For example this is when you need an immediate response because a crime is in progress; someone suspected of a crime is nearby; when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.